lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:47:36 -0400

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 03:56:21PM -0700, David Combs wrote:

> "Lesser" gpl?  Is that the "LGPL"?
>
> Please, what IS the LGPL?

I believe the LGPL is the *Library* GPL.

> Is COMMERCIAL software allowed to include something that's
> under an LGPL license?

Yes, that was its intent.  The LGPL was created to allow GPL libraries
to be used in writing commercial software, something which the GPL
would not allow.

> Also -- what are the OTHER licenses for freeware -- that do
> NOT restrict commercial software from using?

The Artistic License that comes with Perl is one.  The BSD license
is another.  I'm sure there are others.  Of course, anyone can create
their own license that says whatever they want, but many of these
pre-existing licences have been either created or reviewed by lawyers.

Chuck