lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:39:33 +0900 (JST)

> your point.  Perhaps there are two ways; roughly, one is to use a
> bundled intl/* and the other is to use the gettext(is this right?)

Exactly.  (Except when you are talking about program_s_ other than
Lynx, that becomes not "a", but rather multiple, "bundled intl/*_s_."
Of course, no such distinction in Japanese :)

> I would like to ask one point; is it enough to do configure with
> the option '--without-included-gettext' even without 'rm -r intl'

There is no need to remove the directories /po and /intl.  Before the
developers went to using stub files, the entire 100+KB *.po files for
a number of languages would have been included in the distribution.
On some of my machines (like my trusty PC9821Ne with 120MB), I have to
remove EVERY extra file, and even then the Lynx build finishes with 107%
capacity on the disk, the absolute limit (sometimes it doesn't, and I get
millions of "file system is full").  Although no longer the case, I had
some machines not hooked up to the LAN, so everything had to go onto
a 1.25 MB floppy; thus I re-bundled Lynx.

You might as well configure with "--disable-included-msgs," too.  If you
translate for other programs, you will discover the convenience of keeping
*.pot files in one central location, i.e., you can share translations among
catalogues.  Gettext is not Lynx specific at all.  Also, there is no need
to wait to rebuild Lynx just to update a message or two.

__Henry