lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Server-Side JavaScript for UNIX Lynx?

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Server-Side JavaScript for UNIX Lynx?
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 16:43:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
>It's already been pointed that the problem isn't the language itself
>(there are implementations around), but the DOM.  In other words,
>the objects on which the language is supposed to act.  Those have to
>be provided by lynx (or whatever hosts the XXXXscript environment),
>in a way that XXXXscript instructions can act on them / react to them /
>assign values to them or their members.

First of all, even though I know virtually nothing about the internals of
lynx, just from reading this list for a long time, I think it'll probably
be sooner that we see some *other* text mode browser that has JavaScript
support than lynx..  (just to give my biases or whatever you want to call
it up front..)  I already use links as my launch-from-pine browser.

But can't any of this DOM be "faked", or rather generated on the fly,
while the text is being parsed?

At least in my case, it seems to be more the "submit button then goes to
a link" kind of JavaScript uses that I run into.