lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TAB character in text input fields of html forms

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TAB character in text input fields of html forms
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:18:40 +0100 (BST)

>   I have the need to enter a string containing a TAB character into a
> text field of an html form (don't ask me why; the server expects it).

You can't do this with the big 2 either.

>   Netscape users achieve this with Javascipt (the script assigns "\t"
> to the text input field's value).  I would like to know if there is

I doubt that Netscape users do this. The author might achieve this
on Netscape, but, if he needs to do so, it seems to me that the page
must be fundamentally Javascript based.  Moreover, it seems to me
that the client side Javascript cannot do anything that couldn't be done
by server side scripting, with respect to inserting tab into the data.

If the form is a GET type form, I'd suggest submitting the equivalent URL.

If it is a POST form, and cookie free, the best way is probably to use
the post data command line option, again doing the necessary URL encoding.