lynx-dev

lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp

From: Fiber McGee
Subject: lynx-dev Downloading large files via ftp
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:03:34 -0600

The message below from Gisli Ottarsson
<address@hidden> was forwarded by the
list moderator.

Lynx team:

I just had an experience with lynx that may be food for thought.

I logged on a linux machine running lynx.  This machine automounts my
home directory which lives on another machine on a congested network.

I used lynx in ftp mode to download a large file (680Mb) which it did,
storing the data temporarily in a file named L12120-9789TMP.bin.
After successfully completing the download, lynx prompted me for a
permanent name for this file.

I accepted the default and this is when lynx did something unexpected.
Rather than renaming the temporary file, it copied it to a file with
the new name, thereby:

  1) sending the 680Mb twice over the network, from my home machine to
     the linux machine and back.  This took over 15 minutes during
     which lynx appeared to have hung.

  2) running the risk of running out of disk space.

To add insult to injury, after the copy operation, lynx failed to
remove the temporary file, L12120-9789TMP.bin.

Apart from this, thanks for a lovely product.

Regards

  Gisli

--
Gisli Ottarsson, PhD