lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:53:33 -0500

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 01:08:58PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 12:48:46 -0500
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 12:10:06PM -0500, Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:
> > > I wish I could test this new version.  I hope the right scrolling
> > > "super-wide" display is an optional feature, settable at runtime and
> >
> > it's optional, settable at runtime.
> >
> I haven't had a chance to experiment with it.  I hope it's fairly
> intelligent -- text within <PRE> ... </PRE> should appear "super-wide";
> ordinary flowing text should still be formatted to the window.

actually it's not - pre text comes out as-is, while the other stuff flows to
the very-wide margins.  In that respect, it's mainly useful for viewing tables.

(Setting the actual margin at runtime is something I left for later - lynx
doesn't have that sort of thing except by prompting for data, and the toggle
was too nice as-is to abandon right away).

> Beyond that, my changes for curses window resizing lately have a
> possibly annoying side effect:  The actual window size overrides
> any prior setting of LINES and COLUMNS, and those values are
> even exported to the environment in shell escapes.  I know it's
> been an annoyance to me in situations such as:
>
>     !        # (shell escape from lynx)
>     xterm &  # start a new terminal window
>     exit     # return to lynx
>
> The xterm is now running with the default window size, but with LINES
> and COLUMNS set to the size of the parent lynx window.  Does this
> bother anyone else enough that I should try to improve it?

probably a good idea - I overlooked subprocesses.  Maybe adding some code
to stop_curses() would be the right place.

> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek
> INFORMATION made POWERFUL