lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4 progress

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.4 progress
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:04:04 +0900 (JST)

>  Yes, the trailing white spaces can be trimmed by CGIs for those input
> fields for which it's known that trailing white spaces are not meaningful.
> Only CGIs know which are those fields, and they have to do trimming if
> any other browser but lynx has to be supported. So it's at least safe (but
> more correctly, it's more correct) not to trim trailing whitespaces.

Thanks a lot for your help in getting info.  Most of my old cgi scripts
were tested with Lynx, and I'm finding now that they are broken for other
browsers when certain multibyte characters are used.  Lynx does a good
job of "cleaning" up the whitespace, and handles multibytes well, so I
had been relying on that (=being lazy).  Anyway, to make a long story
short, I agree with you that Lynx should NOT modify the _text_ portion of
textarea and text input, and I think that includes any spaces (\040),
whether trailing, prepended or inserted.

__Henry