lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Matt
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:06:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Pat Traynor wrote:
>
> > This works great, except that while downloading a file, Lynx clicks off
> > the number of bytes being downloaded via my telnet session.  It does
> > this at such a high rate of speed that it's using up a considerable
> > amount of my 24kbps bandwidth.
>
> that's settable via the options menu or SHOW_KB_RATE in lynx.cfg

Hmm... I had never noticed that one, myself... I always set it to KB/ETA, but
never payed enough attention to the option that I could turn it off... Whenever
I have to dial up (phone lines here are terrible) and get a nice (speedy here)
28.8K connection and have a large download to do with lynx, I just run lynx
under screen and switch to another "window" while it does its work. (Usually
just sitting at a ksh prompt.)

I can then save it to disk for Z/Y/ZModem transfer later (after I quit
screen... can't transfer files from it ;) while continuing all of my normal
activities as if lynx isn't running in a ssh window.

Just what I do. Now I see that it's the hard way though... ;)

--Matt