lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:40:26 -0600 (MDT)

Pat Traynor <address@hidden> writes on Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:34:49 -0400 (EDT):

>> >     lynx -source URL >filename.
>> the site that I go to primarily requests a login/passwd

If the password is being requested from the Web site, then it can be
supplied in the URL: instead of http://path, use
http://USER:address@hidden

Obviously, this passes information in cleartext that should probably
be kept secret (e.g., a ps command by another user on the same system
could see your lynx command), and unless the channel is encrypted
(usually, https:// instead of http://), any system along the route
(seen by, e.g., traceroute hostname) can see it too.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- Department of Mathematics, 322 INSCC      address@hidden  address@hidden -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -