lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev some problems in 2-8-4rel.1

From: Hataguchi Takeshi
Subject: Re: lynx-dev some problems in 2-8-4rel.1
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:38:36 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Hataguchi Takeshi wrote:
>
> > I tried Lynx 2-8-4rel.1 and found some problems in it.
[snip]
> >   2. Some extra dots ('.') are appeared when edit TEXTAREA using
> >     external editor with Lynx for Win32.
> >
> >     example:
> >     ---- input string by external editor from here ----
> >     foo
> >     bar
> >     ---- input string by external editor until here ----
> >
> >     ---- output string to the TEXTAREA from here ----
> >     foo.
> >     bar.
> >     .
> >     .
> >     .
> >     ---- output string to the TEXTAREA until here ----
>
> perhaps this is a character-set problem (I don't see it, but am only using
> the default character-set).

No. I think it's CRLF vs. LF problem.  I saw this problem when I use
Notepad.exe as a external editor (return code is CRLF) with D.C.S is
"Western (ISO-8859-1)".

> >   3. Directory listing is strange with Lynx for Win32.
> >
> >     example:
> >     -------------------- ここから --------------------
> >     Current directory is d:\home\patakuti\
> >
> >         Mail/
> >         News/
> >            1K Jun 19  1997 RMAIL
> >         bin/
> >         cmd/
> >         etc/
> >           13K May 05  1999 lynx.rc
> >            2K Jul 29 22:59 lynx_bookmarks.html
> >            1K Sep 23  2000 mailcap
> >            2K Sep 23  2000 mime.types
> >         public_html/
> >            2K Nov 08  2000 rogue.scores
> >         tmp/
> >     -------------------- ここまで --------------------
>
> it looks as if you are not seeing the dates for the directories (I do see
> this information - am building with both M$ and Borland, but don't see
> this problem).

I used Borland's compiler. I attached the makefile which I had
used.  Please compare the definitions.

> >   4. Searching the word "foo" in the attached file "home.txt"
> >     and then Lynx would hung up.
>
> this was reported yesterday - it's related to the page size (I posted a
> fix to the lynx-dev list)

I see. I want to try the next developer version.

> >   5. Editting the local file by pressing 'e' and exitted the
> >     editor, and then Lynx would show almost blank page except
> >     the currently selected link.
>
> I had a report of this before the release, and fixed the problem that I
> saw (so I need more information to see this case).

Hum. I'm sorry that it may be a hard work for me to explain details in
English, but I'll try it.

----
  1. Start Lynx to show about_lynx.html in the current directory.

    > .\lynx -cfg=NUL about_lynx.html

  2. Select the first link (About Lynx-dev).

    see. http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/lynx/fig1.png

  3. Press 'e' to execute editor to edit about_lynx.html
    and close it without modification.

  4. Then Lynx will show almost blank page except the word
    "About Lynx-dev", which is the currently selected link.

    see. http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/lynx/fig2.png

  5. Press '^L' to make Lynx show the whole page.
    # same as fig1.png

----
I think fig2.png is strange and Lynx should show whole page
after closing the external editor

I could find this problem with these binaries.
  - Jim Spath's binary for Windows (2.8.4pre.5)

  - the binary for Windows which I compiled with Borland's compiler
    with pdcurses (2.8.4rel.1)

  - the binary for FreeBSD 2.2.8 which is compiled by gcc with slang
    (2.8.4rel.1)
--
Takeshi Hataguchi
E-mail: address@hidden