lynx-dev

lynx-dev How to find if my isp's lynx is ssl-enabled?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev How to find if my isp's lynx is ssl-enabled?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:44:41 -0400

I have just been told by someone that soon the only
way they will distribute upgrades, etc, will be
via a SSL-enabled www-site.

He asked if my (shell-account's) browser (lynx)
supported ssl.

I looked at my year-old copy of the user-guide
and found only one reference to ssl:

    =force_secure
     toggles forcing of the secure flag for SSL cookies.

I did try the option, and lynx didn't bomb --
but I'm not sure if that alone tells me that
the version they've set up is ssl-enabled
or not.

Nor do I have any idea how to either go to (if there
is any difference) an ssl-enabled www-site, and
what to do when I get there.

Here is the version my isp currently has:

    Lynx 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)

Thanks much!

David