lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.4

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.4
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:45:36 -0500

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 02:31:25PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:09:39 -0500
> >
> > 2001-11-08 (2.8.5dev.4)
> > * modify SUPPORT_MULTIBYTE_EDIT logic in LYUpperCase() and LYLowerCase() to
> >   check for a null character following an upper-128 code.  This is more
> > likely
> >   to occur in EBCDIC, though the multibyte strings should not have a null at
> >   this position in any case (report by PG) -TD
>
> Thanks.  This may solve my crash.  But it still feels wrong to me.
> many single-byte EBCDIC characters are upper-128.  The crash happened
> to me when Lynx was erroneously using multibyte logic to process
> a single-byte upper-128 character.  This is wrong even when the
> character is in the interior of a string.  It just happens to cause
> the crash when the character is at the end of the string.

yes - I thought about your change to simply disable multibyte characters,
and it seemed that the real problem is that lynx was incorrectly deciding
that your data was some CJK flavor - we should fix that.  But I also read
up on the multibyte stuff and as far as I can tell, none would have
embedded nulls, so I chose that solution.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net