lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev support for ill-formed URLs

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev support for ill-formed URLs
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:06:56 -0500

At 05:58 AM 2002-04-05 , you wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 12:51:57PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>>  Hi all!
>>
>>  Just found a bug in lynx - it doesn't understand URLs like this
>> http://www.openeffect.com?1170469/#469
>> (it tries to lookup the host with name "www.openeffect.com?1170469").
>>  Most popular browsers (NN4.x, mozilla and IE) of course support this form of
>> URLs - they of course treat it as http://www.openeffect.com/?1170469/#469
>
>I seem to recall (will check later, unless someone else does) that numeric
>references aren't legal.  The context at that point was the references in
>lynx's user guide.

Oh, your perfectly correct that a #nnn fragment is not valid HTML.  html:a.name
and html:any.id have to have an initial alpha char.

<quote
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-cdata";>

     * ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
       followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),

</quote>

On the other hand, the above discussion has to do with the the fact that the
'authority' part of the URI is here terminated with the '?' introducing the
query part without benefit of an intervening '/'.  In this case, per RFC-2396,
Lynx is actually wrong in requiring a '/' before the '?'.

<quote
cite="http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html";>

3.2. Authority Component

   Many URI schemes include a top hierarchical element for a naming
   authority, such that the namespace defined by the remainder of the
   URI is governed by that authority.  This authority component is
   typically defined by an Internet-based server or a scheme-specific
   registry of naming authorities.

      authority     = server | reg_name

   The authority component is preceded by a double slash "//" and is
   terminated by the next slash "/", question-mark "?", or by the end of
   the URI.  Within the authority component, the characters ";", ":",
   "@", "?", and "/" are reserved.

</quote> -- (emphasis added)

That says that Lynx should not be looking for a host of address

"www.openeffect.com?1170469"

as Vlad reports.  Worth checking.

Al