lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev HTTP_REFERER for pages that are result of form submission v

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTTP_REFERER for pages that are result of form submission via GET
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:12:40 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> >  That seems to be a very wrong approach, that makes developing lynx-friendly
> > dynamic web sites much more difficult (thus making some webmasters totally
>
> It's a privacy issue.  The normal use of this information is to find
> out what search engine keywords sent you to a particular site, but it
> could be used to gather rather more sensitive data entered into a form
> on another site.

 Agreed, this is important when domains of the referrer and the requested URLs
are different (it seems that I recall that there are settings in IE or Mozilla
to prevent HTTP_REFERRER from being sent if domains of the referrer is
different from requested URL). But when domains are the same - it would be
better to send referrer IMHO.
 What everybody thinks about this?

> > forget about lynx-friendliness). Moreover, Mozilla, NN4.x and IE send
> > HTTP_REFERRER for pages that are result of form submission via GET, unlike
> > lynx.
>
> And a number of people then run proxies to take them out!

 I won't be surprised if these proxies also allow to send referrer if its
domain is the same as domain of the requested URL.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad