lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:30:44 +0900 (JST)

By "in this day and age" I was saying that anyone on this list who wishes
to limit themselves to 94 characters by using a "plain ASCII terminal" is
doing so by _choice_. * I pass absolutely no judgment on that choice. *
Mostly I was trying to say that there no longer are hardware or software
limitations to using the full Unicode repertoire.

> So it seems to me that there are very many people using lynx that can't
> display those symbols.

I really don't know.  There seem to be an awful lot of people using the
Win32 port.  Quite a few people use Lynx in xterm, etc.  But yes, for
people dialing into a shell account and running Lynx via some terminal
emulator, then I suspect what you say is true.

Especially for these people, Lynx has a fall-back default laid out in the
table "def7_uni.tbl" to map Unicode characters to 7-bit representations.
I'm repeating myself, but if anyone doesn't like those representations,
then they are free to change them as they wish.  In a sense, if you are
dissatisfied with Lynx, then you OWE it to former, present and future
developers to spend a couple of hours editing that file to your satisfaction
and recompiling.  If you truly believe your version would be of value
to other users, then you ought to share it with them by contributing it
to the Lynx distribution.

> Heck, I don't know what text encoding I'd have
> to change this Terminal window to to make sure the chars showed up the

Well, this topic is not really specific to the lynx-dev mailing list, and
only involves Lynx in relation to the display character set.  When you
say "Terminal window," do you mean X on some Unix, Microsoft Windows or
something else?  If X, why not UTF-8?  If Windows98 or above, I believe
Microsoft has a variety of "code pages" free for downloading.
                            ^    ^
Did no one take note of this forwarded post by Jungshik?  Now this man
has a valid gripe.  (Might also give a few of you some ideas of the
possibilities out there.)
   Link: lynx: display charset <-> doc. charset conv

__Henry

P.S.  Regarding my views on open versus proprietary software, the following
      is the most succinct and solid argument I've seen anywhere.  Makes
      me wish I had spent time to learn Spanish.

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/25157.html