lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:01:12 -0700

Regarding the display of euc-jp encoded pages with lynx.

I can't get lynx to work right.  Please explain.

Henry provided a page showing the Greek alphabetic characters encoded
as raw euc-jp and as numeric character references.

He also provided image files of his display.  Corresponding raw euc-jp
and numeric character references are displayed identically.  He's
using TeraTerm on a Windows system communicating with a unix machine
(I think...).

I have never managed to get lynx to display both correctly on my
system (Linux Mandrake 8.2).

I've tried xterm, kterm, and rxvt.  I think the correct setup to
display multibyte character sets for each terminal is as follows:

        kterm   runtime argument   -km euc
        rxvt    compile define     KANJI
        xterm   runtime argument   -u8

Lynx should be run with the runtime argument that matches the display
capability of the terminal: -display_charset=euc-jp or utf-8.

The result is this:

  * In the euc-jp enabled terminals rxvd and kterm, raw euc-jp
    characters display as Greek, but numeric character references
    are transliterated into Latin characters.

  * In the Unicode-enabled xterm, raw euc-jp characters are junk,
    while numeric character references display as Greek.

It is pretty clear that lynx is doing this.  Neither behavior is right.

Could it be a compilation option?  I tried compiling lynx with
KANJI_CODE_OVERRIDE defined in userdefs.h.  Also messed with
USE_TH_JP_AUTO_DETECT and CONV_JISX0201KANA_JISX0208KANA, to no
good effect.

Could lynx be trying to detect the display capabilities of the
terminal internally?

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:29:37 -0400 (EDT)
Jungshik Shin <address@hidden> wrote