lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.8 compiling on Solaris 8

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.8 compiling on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:07:19 +0100

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:45:14PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 04:19:02PM -0700, Brian Hostetler wrote:
> > ./makeuctb ./cp1250_uni.tbl cp1250_uni.h
> > ld.so.1: ./makeuctb: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6: open failed: No such file
> > or directory
> > *** Signal 9

> I don't see a line in the log for compiling/linking makeuctb.  But going
> past that, the issue is that your libssl is a dynamic library, and apparently
> is not in the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or similar) environment path.  Most stuff
> on Solaris relies on being in /usr/lib, while gcc adds /usr/local/lib.

[Actually my experience with gcc on Solaris 8 is that it looks
implicitly in /usr/local/include for compilation but not usually in
/usr/local/lib for linking.  The configure scripts of most packages
seem to add -L/usr/local/lib automatically, but special flags often
have to be added in order to make the compiled binaries look in
/usr/local/lib to resolve dynamic libraries.]

> Shared libraries that aren't in one of those have to be handled specially.

This is a perennial problem on Solaris here, partly because of the above
comment (but we also have some libraries in strange places because all
our third-party packages are segregated).  So it's always important to
make sure the correct runtime library path gets compiled in.

In the case of lynx, configuring with

 LIBS="-R/usr/local/ssl/lib" ./configure [configure-args]

seems to work, assuming the SSL libraries are in /usr/local/ssl/lib.

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be avoided where possible.  However,
setting LD_RUN_PATH to the equivalent path *before* you compile will
often give the correct result.

imc