lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev xli -quiet

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev xli -quiet
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:47:43 -0400

020917 Ian Collier wrote:
> Quote from lynx.cfg which comes with lynx-2.8.4-18
>   # XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND will be used as a default in src/HTInit.c for
>   # viewing image content types when the DISPLAY environment variable
>   # is set.  Make it the full path and name of the xli (also know as
>   # xloadimage or xview) command, or other image viewer.
>     [big snip]
>   # If you use xli, you may want to add the -quiet flag.
>   #
>   #XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND:xli %s &
> I do want to add the -quiet flag;
> otherwise  xli  spouts info in inappropriate places on the screen,
> which requires a screen refresh before lynx can be used again.

i've been getting this recently, but i'm not sure where it's defined.
when i  Enter  a  .jpg  file, i get an image via Kview 1.9.2:
i can't find any definition of a viewer in  lynx.cfg ,
so it's probably a default by my KDE 3.0.3 (Mandrake Linux 9.0rc1).
Kview then tells me
  Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
& i have to enter  ^l  to restore the screen,
as other Lynx commands don't do it automatically.

> I just wondered if this could be made the default setting
> rather than require everyone to edit their own lynx.cfg to put it in.

we don't want it to be specific to  1  application (eg Xli),
so Lynx should simply trap any extraneous messages & refresh the screen,
perhaps with a choice in  lynx.cfg  to preserve them for debugging.