lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 01:32:53 +0100

On Mon Dec 30 01:15:19 2002 Ian Collier <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:52:17PM +0100, Peter Rasmussen wrote:
>> Would you mind telling me why you consider Netscape 4.* your only browser
>> apart from Lynx?
>
>I did explain this in an earlier message.

Sorry your highness, for not remembering.

If disk space is the problem have you tried to use Opera?

And if performance is a problem you should chuck any RedHat distribution and
go with Slackware. There you will also have the flexibility to install any
window manager you feel like.

I use fvwm2 myself and glibc-2.2 from Slackware 8.1 on an AMD K6-2 machine as
my terminal, so I am not sure it is because you have limited machine power but
perhaps haven't investigated your possibilities right?

Or do I sense that someone going with RedHat since then aren't up to such a
task?

>> Even Netscape 6 or Mozilla 1.0 wouldn't be the "latest and greatest".
>
>True, but my system does not meet their "minimum specifications".

You are right, those are on the heavy side, but take a look at Opera.

>> I don't know why you bring viruses and Outlook Express into the picture?
>
>It was just an illustration of how people do not in general use
>"developed" versions of things; the fact that X is no longer actively
>developed does not imply that no one uses X any more.

Oh, you are wrong on that one, X is being developed pretty heavily, but it
isn't anymore the Open Group that does it, it is XFree86. Take a look at:

  http://www.xfree86.org/

And you might be surprised.

And your analogy is wrong because there isn't anything that replaces X well,
but there is a _lot_ that will replace the Netscape 4.* browser.

Peter