lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Background Colors with the binary for Windows

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Background Colors with the binary for Windows
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:41:37 -0500

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:22:16PM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:28:02AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> > > Some colors don't seem to be selected as background colors with the
> > > binary for Windows.  For example,
> > >     COLOR:0:black:white
> > > seems to be equivalent to
> > >     COLOR:0:black:lightgray
> >
> > The issue stems from this change (which is proving to be hard for PDCurses
> > since it doesn't follow the conventions: its "white" color doesn't match
> > the declared number of colors):
> >
> > 2002-10-06 (2.8.5dev.9)
> > * make ASSUMED_COLORS in lynx.cfg apply to normal curses implementations
> > which
> >   do not implement assume_default_colors() (prompted by discussion with
> >   Bela Lubkin) -TD
>
> I couldn't understand how the discussion related with this problem,
> but I found the related description in lynx.cfg as below.
>
>   | # Note that in most cases a white background is really "lightgray", since
>   | # terminals generally do not implement bright backgrounds.
>
> I see bright backgrounds *generally* can't be used.

I was looking mostly at the comment regarding the white+black combination.
In curses, color pair 0 is treated specially - it assumes the background
is black, and often one can assume that the default foreground is white.

The change made was for optimization.  Bela commented to the effect that since
lynx is normally configured to paint a "white" background, then it is often
slow (for terminals which lack the back color erase feature).  If one could
assume that the terminal's background was indeed white, then lynx could adjust
its bookkeeping for the color pairs to make it more efficient.

The problem with PDCurses is that it doesn't follow the normal curses
conventions exactly - DK proposed fixes which I thought I could do
better by moving the change further up.  You and (I forget) at least
one other person are reporting that it's not working well.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net