lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (shellAcct times out!)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:26:34 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, David Combs wrote:

> Perhaps were I connected directly to the net, a la ppp,
> but I'm dialed into my isp's computer, which computer
> gives me a bash -> tcsh shell, within which I
> type in "lynx ...".
>
> That is, lynx is not running on *my* computer,
> but on the isp's computer.  (Using the internet
> this indirect way is termed "via a shell-account" --
> the isp providesf "shell-account access"; that's
> what I pay for; no ability to do ppp, just able
> to give shell-cmds to the *isp* computer.)
>
> So, when my *connection* (to the isp) times
> out, I'm automatically logged-out, just as
> if I'd said "exit" a time or two.

It sounds like what you need is a "keep-alive" setting in the software
you use to dial into the ISP. This periodically sends a packet to let
the ISP know that you are really still there. What software do you use
to dial (and on which platform)? Perhaps someone can point you to the
solution.
                           Doug
--
Doug Kaufman