lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:06:41 +0400 (MSD)

28-May-2003 04:19 Chuck Martin wrote:
> I thought that documents weren't supposed to reload when pressing '\'
> to view source if lynx was configured to cache the source (I have
> "SOURCE_CACHE:MEMORY" in my lynx.cfg), but I have noticed on several

Do you see it in LYNXCFG:// page??

> occasions that they do at least some of the time.  I haven't had the

A trace log will be useful, but see below.

> time to look into the source code, but it seems to me that when
> changing the way a document is viewed, the document should never be
> reloaded if the source is available, because your intention is to
> view the *current* document in a different way (possibly for debugging),
> and reloading may not always give you the same document that you were
> originally viewing if the document was dynamically generated.  Even if
> it is the same, it's a waste of bandwidth to download it again.  Am I
> wrong, or is this a bug?

I know of the following limitations:
(1) source_cache code is used for http:// scheme only -
see DEBUG_SOURCE_CACHE symbol in HTML.c

(2) source_cache will not be used if the original transfer
was interrupted with 'z' key. Perhaps this is a misfeature,
or wrong default value. See SOURCE_CACHE_FOR_ABORTED in lynx.cfg
and relevant notes in changes.