lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:58:44 +0900 (JST)

> > lynxrc file. Does it make sense to have two different files (lynx.cfg
> > and the lynxrc file) having settings for the same action, each of which
> > must be hand edited, with one overriding the other? What is the purpose
> > of having those settings in lynx.cfg which are automatically overridden
> > by the settings in the lynxrc file? For example, why even have a setting

I vaguely remember discussion of this some three years ago or so.  It would
be nice to get a current evaluation of the situation.

> > category. I just don't see the point of competing files for the settings
> > except for those settings we are changing from the OPTIONS page. Is
> > there a category of user who has access only to the lynxrc file but not
> > a lynx.cfg file? If so, it might be reasonable to have those options
>
> actually there are still some users who access lynx via a public service
> (probably not many).  So I was keeping that situation in mind.

How about the opposite question: is there a category of user who has access
only to a lynx.cfg file but not the lynxrc file?  If not, then what's the
need for duplication?  (Includes?  Is the include mechanism needed for things
handled in .lynxrc?)  Anyway, I hope Doug's work at analyzing the potential
for confusion to users, and even potential security risks, does stimulate
some discussion among the programmers.

__Henry