lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Trouble accessing ftp site

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Trouble accessing ftp site
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:11:31 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> "Doug Kaufman" <address@hidden> said:
>
> > at the packets sent from DOS, it appears that a ftp connection is
> > made, but no list of files is generated. I can access the site with a
> > standard interactive ftp client from unix, Windows, or DOS, and with
> > Internet Explorer from Win98. It works OK when specifying a specific
> > file, such as "ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/internet/README";,
> > but fails with a directory such as "ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub";. The
> > server identifies itself as "ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1", and a "SYST" command
> > returns "215 UNIX type: L8".
>
> I believe it the same problem I reported in subject  "lynx-dev ftp dir
> listing".
> Basically it's because Lynx tries a "RETR /pub" before a "CWD /pub".

I saw the report (end of November), but it seemed to me that the given url
wasn't a public one.  But this one I can see also:

HTFTP: UnEscaped /pub
  Tx: RETR /pub^M
    Rx: 550 /pub: Not a regular file
  Tx: CWD /pub^M
    Rx: 250 CWD command successful.
  Tx: LIST^M
Error on rx: closing socket 5

> Here's a Ethereal trace of lynx ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub with

...I guess I'll have to learn how to use Ethereal (am downloading it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net