lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:56:01 -0200 (BRST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> really, the responses -- basically from 2 people -- are not
> sensible.

Really ? I pointed that the Linux kernel uses a similar
versioning. Your arguments appear to be that

> look at XFCE, look at the Linux kernel, look at many other projects:
> they number their releases 'x.y.z', where 'x' is a revolutionary change,
> 'y' is a major new release & 'z' is the latest version on offer.
> there mb small variants & a few 'rc' or 'pre' versions,
> but they don't have interminable series of 'x.y.zdev.n' releases,
> which in the case of Lynx are nearly always fully usable &
> quite stable.

the rel versions are taking ages and the distributions don't
want to use dev and pre, what I have to agree, but, again, why
do you think that calling 2.8.6dev.1 2.8.6.1 or 2.9dev.1 2.9.1
will change anything, and make them use it ?

I understand the problem isn't Lynx. And it doesn't matter for
most distributions if Thomas makes a new rel by month.

I'll point something: FreeBSD.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=lynx&stype=name

lynx-2.8.5d17
lynx-ssl-2.8.4.1d
lynx-2.8.4.1d

So, they have rel and dev. Well, too bad they don't have
lynx-ssl for dev, but I guess you can enable it editing the
files in ports (yes, like the Gentoo ports) and recompiling.

If FreeBSD uses it, what prevents other distributions, mainly
Gentoo, from doing the same ? I guess nothing. Blame the
packager ?

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html