lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:57:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> I compiled the 2.8.5pre.3 code under Cygwin as a static binary using
> ncurses 5.3(20030809 patch) and OpenSSL 0.9.7-stable and noted a few
> problems.
>
> 1. When running in a Cygwin bash shell, after I quit lynx no typed
> characters echo to the screen. I have to run "stty sane" to fix this.
> This isn't a problem when running under COMMAND.COM. This is all in
> Win98, using cygwin1.dll version 1.5.5, and with CYGWIN set to
> "binmode tty codepage:oem". Is this a ncurses problem or a Cygwin
> problem? After lynx quits the stty changes seem to be: -icrnl -onlcr
> -icanon -echo.

Something in your $CYGWIN variable seems to be a problem (I'll look at
little further).  Setting it as you show, "stty sane" doesn't work for me
- this on Windows2000 with the 1.5.5 dll.  stty says it is unable to
perform all requested operations.  I suspect it's a cygwin bug though -
ncurses tries to reset things just as stty would, and is failing.
Probably (from reading the cygwin code, I've noticed examples) a newer
stty has been patched to use a cygwin-specific kludge to make it work.
My stty says its version is 2.0.15 (I'm not sure what package it's part
of).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net