lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] That web site superpages.com again

From: Victor Schneider
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] That web site superpages.com again
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 07:21:39 -0500

>Gee, isn't that funny.  The superpages.com web site went back to sending
>.gz web pages that lynx wanted to download (application-gzip).  I tried
>downloading one or two, and I found out that pointing lynx at the disk
>directory where the gz file was downloaded got me an ungzipped file,
>which I then printed as an html file (automatically uncompressed by
>viewing it in lynx), which I then viewed as a correct html file by
>pointing lynx at the printed file.  Seems like a bit too much work,
>but I think it proves that that lynx is easily capable of automatically
>expanding the file and viewing the result.

Same thing for <http://www.sourceforge.net>.  My oh my.

What is interesting is that the Borland compilation of lynx-2.8.4pre
does an extremely smooth and quick job, minus temporary files, of
downloading superpages.com gzipped pages and pages from sourceforge.net
and dallasnews.com, among others who regularly send out application-gzip
web pages.  So, what has happened is that the file responsible for
handling the gunzipping of received web pages has been improved since
that time so it doesn't work properly.

Also, the Borland pre-compiled lynx.exe of yore uses pdcurses.lib and
shows the same jumping back and forth of the mouse pointer in more
recent pdcurses.lib implementations.  When I get some spare time, I
am going to investigate the more recent versions of the Midnight Cowboy
file manager project and see again whether libmcslang is compatible
with lynx.  Slang gives a superior text window, and keyboard-mouse
interactions are flawless, once the code is changed on initializing
the converttoansi static variable.  libmcslang gets rid of unused
components of libslang, leaving the core that should be of use under
all the operating systems for which slang is available.