lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx display buffer questions

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx display buffer questions
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 23:32:15 +0900

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 01:11:03AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> It's distributed in HEX file but I could change it to TTF file using
> hex2bdf and bdf2ttf utilities.  And it also can be used with PuTTY.
> # fontsize 12 seems to be fine.
>
>     http://czyborra.com/unifont/unifont.hex.gz
>     http://czyborra.com/unifont/hex2bdf
>     http://www.kaoriya.net/dist/bdf2ttf-1.0.002.tar.bz2

It's not as nice looking as MS Gothic, but okay.  [I got message:
"bdf_load: PIXEL_SIZE was not found, use 16".  Does it mean I
could somehow increase to "24"?  Might look much nicer.  BTW,
I used "bdf2ttf-2.0b.tar.bz2" and compiled on unix.]

I was able to read UTF-8 pages and see Cyrillic, Japanese, Hebrew,
Arabic and Korean all on the same page (http://czyborra.com/) in
Lynx 2.8.6dev.7.

** Pretty fantastic. **

_BUT_, now I can't view pages written in euc-jp !!!  Also, I couldn't
get UTF-8 to work in a "screen" session.  It is SO frustrating.

I had to change LC_CTYPE to "en_US.UTF-8" from "ja_JP.eucJP" in
order to get UTF-8 to work.  Is this what creates the problems in
reading euc-jp?  NetBSD has no such thing as "ja_JP.UTF-8", and I
have no idea how a person would go about creating one.

Anyway, thanks for the great tip on the font!

__Henry