lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx as a filter

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx as a filter
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:37:22 -0400

050830 Dr. Yasha Karant,JB-344,(909) 537-5329 wrote:
> I use an email package such as elm or mutt for most of my email
> much of the email I receive is in html format.
> The standard utility for text email readers -- htmlview -- ,
> does a very poor job of displaying HTML; lynx is much better.
> Is there any way that lynx can replace htmlview as a filter

I always use Mutt & have the following lines:

  in  ~/.mailcap     :  text/html; lynx -force_html %s
  in  ~/.mime.types  :  text/html html htm

When I encounter an HTML file in an e-mail, I enter 'v' in Mutt,
which shows a list of sections & attachments,
select the appropriate one, 'Enter' & Lynx does its job.
You can handle other types in a similar fashion: eg I have in  .mailcap

  application/msword; catdoc | most
  application/pdf; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kghostview %s
  image/gif; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kview %s
  image/jpg; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kview %s
  image/jpeg; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kview %s
  image/png; /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kview %s

The '%s' is needed if the app is interactive
& you have to remember to update the paths eg for KDE 4.0 (whenever).
See Mutt manual 5.3 .