lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Line Formatting in Forms

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Line Formatting in Forms
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:28:10 -0600

        Is there anything I can do in lynx to solve the following
problem?

        On many forms, one can type free-formed text on a page that
appears like:

   Announcment:*

   I type something and the _'s
   get replaced with characters.____________________________________
Data transfer complete
            Enter text into the field by typing on the keyboard
    Ctrl-U to delete all text in field, [Backspace] to delete a character

        The problem is that nothing makes the lines wrap so you have
to pay attention to where the cursor is.  If one is blind, that still
is possible, but it is a royal pain in the neck.  I have even gone as
far as to use a pre-formatted text file and Kermit's transmit function
to spew it out to the site.

        The best way would be to be able to use VI, for example, and
have it take care of the word wrapping.  I did put

DEFAULT_EDITOR: /usr/bin/vi

in lynx.cfg, but it had no effect on this particular form.

        If I use an old P.C. running DOS and the Kermit terminal
emulator, I do have the option of using that transmit function to send
the file, but that is a bit of a cluge.  Is there anything I can set
in lynx to get a more natural text entering experience?

        Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer