lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:49:00 -0500 (EST)

You think it's debatable whether being unable to use to Yahoo or SourceForge or do any e-commerce is crippling? Wow.

Hardly relevant since you can't ship lynx with ssl so the experience is consistent and obvious everywhere. A binary without ssl is what it is; add it in using source and a compiler when you need it.

To add any ssl functionality to lynx requires a compile and always has in my experience.

I guess you're referring to the licensing discussion?

Not at all, it just doesn't come in the box; if there's no native complier (Mac/Win) you are looking at binaries initially. SSL is also one of the most discussed usage topics here, once it's been built.

Even without ssl you still get that 'real view' of the web, scriptable, customizable and fast.

But without any access to hundreds of important web sites. Not exactly a selling point. Unless you think that SSL is evil and any web site which uses it sucks, but I've never heard of anyone who believes that.

rofl. The Mac user is checking out lynx in terminal in under 30 seconds with lynxlet (probably while using Safari). The pertinent issue with OS X is that you don't get a native compiler to roll your own lynx to get SSL.

MAC: Hello I'm a Mac
PC: And I'm a PC

and neither of us has a compiler...

Stef