lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:45:51 +0900

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 05:01:13PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 2001-08-15 (2.8.5dev.2)
> * work around defect in move_anchors_in_region() and related logic by
> changing
>   default for nested-tables to FALSE when Lynx is not configured for
>   color-style.  The problem is that when an anchor is shifted right by
>   nested-table logic, if it has a <BR> near the beginning of a table cell
>   and
>   it happens to be split across a line, its size will not be adjusted
>   properly
>   (report by Hataguchi Takeshi) -TD
>
> There are two questions to answer:
>
> (a) whether we should set the default to enable nested tables, given that
> for most pages it is an improvement, or disable it by default to lessen
> confusion.

Is "nested-table logic" only supposed to work with, i.e., depend on,
"color-style", which in turn assumes "screen=ncurses", or is it that
it has only been tested with "color-style" and may work in other
configurations?

Presently I configure lynx with "--with-screen=slang" and "--enable-
nested-tables", but I've always wondered if that is the right thing to
be doing since I don't set a configuration option for "color-style",
and always assumed it was off by default.

> (b) whether the run-time toggling of the feature works properly.

With "Lynx 2.8.6dev.18" (I'll do my best to try to upgrade to lynx2.8.6
pre.3 this weekend.), --with-screen=slang and --enable-nested-tables,
I get a status-line message that toggling is ON/OFF.

Assuming I can get lynx2.8.6pre.3 installed soon, what test should
we do to see if "run-time toggling of the feature works properly."

Also, can lynx-devers suggest some URLs of good examples of tables
where nested-table logic improves the presentation?  Thanks.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999