lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6 (automatic processing of downloads)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6 (automatic processing of downloads)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Rado S wrote:

=- Jeffrey D. Benton wrote on Wed 11.Oct'06 at 18:50:16 -0700 -=

I can get Lynx to download and unzip but I can't get it to run.
In my last attempt I downloaded lynx2.8.6rel.1.zip at
http://www.pervalidus.net/cygwin/lynx/. I have no software
programming knowledge so I need it to download and run
automatically.

I guess you want to add the required lines to your mailcap file.
Lynx checks this file to decide what to do with stuff.

It uses that information to decide how to present data that the remote
server provides.  It also lists mime-types in the "Accept" header, but
the server basically uses the information to decide what filetypes to
provide rather than using this as a permission. Of course it could decide that it has no applicable filetype - but since executable files are not that interesting to present, the server doesn't have much to do with this.

Second question: Can Lynx be configured to prevent the download
of software programs--perhaps by filtering certain types of file
extensions such as .exe?

Well, I can think only of an entry in mailcap to "throw it away"
unused, but it would be still downloaded first. Blocking download
is not possible AFAIK.

right - and since lynx allows you to rename files during download,
the file suffix really has little meaning.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net