lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:57:48 +0000 (UTC)

Henry Nelson dixit:

>Sorry for the noise.  It's some kind of DNS problem, but I can't see
>what's different from the Windows setup and the unix host.

The resolver?

On MirBSD:
Looking up running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
Unable to locate remote host running_on_alcohol.tripod.com.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id4.html
1|address@hidden:~ $ host -v running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
Query about running_on_alcohol.tripod.com for record types A
Trying running_on_alcohol.tripod.com ...
Query done, 1 answer, status: no error
The following answer is not authoritative:
running_on_alcohol.tripod.com   1754    IN      A       209.202.226.100
 !!! running_on_alcohol.tripod.com A record has illegal name

On Windows:

                                                     Options Menu (p1 of 3)
             Options Menu (Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1-mirabilos)

    [1]Accept Changes - [2]Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes
                                [3]HELP!

and:

                            Questions, Comments, and Suggestions (p1 of 35)

                     Make your own Fuel
   Questions, Comments, and Suggestions

           [2]Making your own E-85
            [3]Ethanol Latest News
[...]

So I suppose the usage of underscores is not really allowed,
which is what Stef already told us about.

Oh yeah, I still have djbdns:

address@hidden:~ $ dnsip running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
209.202.226.100

I guess we should be looking that up in the RFCs, and then
possibly file a bug against the BSD libcs' resolvers, and
maybe check with the BIND people (at least for BIND 4, which
is said to have the same resolver - I don't use BIND, so I
don't know). Lynx' side is fine, as I saw on Win2k here.

bye,
//mirabile
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."