lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: using 2.8.6 dev.11 on OS/2

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: using 2.8.6 dev.11 on OS/2
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:49:15 -0500 (EST)

I'm going to top post this answer to try and straighten out this thread.
Seems that lynx -version output would really help, but iirc 2.8.5dev9 was the first version to check for certificate validity, so presumably OpenSSL is available. You need both ssl lynx and you need to send back cookies plaintext. See README.cookies in the documentation, especially:

FORCE_SSL_COOKIES_SECURE is for ebay and the like, or they won't remember you;
(their login is secure but everything else isn't, like a lot of big sites).
If lynx attempts to transmit the ebay cookie securely, it's not taken.
This doesn't affect cookie acceptance but it's a functionality issue for users.

If you have different cookie settings on different systems ebay won't remember you on one but will on the other, regardless of lynx build version.

Stefan Caunter
http://caunter.ca/contact.html

I would be interested in a a binary package available for OS/2.
Whatever disclaimers would be necessary.
I most recently found Lynx useful (just now) for displaying
http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/config.html
especially the  IFRAME: components
My first web page composed for Community College of Philadelphia
looked, or at least worked better in Lynx because of the
display and function of the link attribute.
For some reason Lynx 2.8.5dev.16 (01 Jun 2003)
is keeping me out of ebay (My ebay)
unlike Lynx 2.8.5dev.9 (06 Oct 2002)

I am currently using 2.8.6 dev.11 on OS/2 and it has no problem with
the site in question. I compiled it for my own use, and have not
tried dev.12 or 13. Dev versions 14 and 15 have the 'ctermid' problem
mentioned here several weeks ago, so don't compile on OS/2.  I can
make a binary package available to anyone who wants it if you contact
me off list.