lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx pre-processing

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx pre-processing
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 07:43:58 -0700

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:50:58 +0200
Rado S wrote:

> =- Henry Nelson wrote on Fri  8.Aug'08 at  6:53:27 +0900 -=
>
> > I think it has to do with Lynx's history as being available to
> > very limited resource machines, i.e., it doesn't read the entire
> > file into memory, but rather reads/writes the temporary file on
> > disk.
> > {...} There are ways to replace the temporary file Lynx thinks it
> > has on disk with another, and then r)eload the file. It's a bit
> > drastic, and really has nothing to do with Lynx use, so I don't
> > think I will go into that.

Sounds difficult; that's exactly what some of Lynx's temp-file
handling is set up to prevent.

> Not as workaround, but maybe this could be implemented in lynx
> itself to mimic mutt's digest handling.

Seems unlikely, but see below.

> > > That's exactly what I was looking for to avoid.
> >
> > Yes, I can understand. Mostly I _prefer_ this "feature" since I
> > can use the program of my choice, but it does seem a bit clumsy to
> > use Lynx itself as the pager, I admit.
>
> Well, I use as _filter_ any program that I want, too.
> Only I'd like that the output is captured by lynx rather than an
> external 3rd party pager (less) or the handler application itself
> (gv instead of pdf2txt or pdf2html +lynx).

Well... this is really kludgy, and adds an extra step, but should
do what you want.

in lynx.cfg;
DOWNLOADER:Convert PDF:pdf2html %s > ~/.lynx/pdf2html_output.html:TRUE

then in your jumpfile;
<DT>pdf<DD>     <A HREF="file://localhost/~/.lynx/pdf2html_output.html">pdf2txt
output</A>

So, after downloading, use `j' then `pdf<return>' to view the
file.  Of course, it would only work if you have a `.lynx'
subdirectory in your home directory [I do; that's where I keep
my bookmarks, cookie file and so on].

Being able to define an optional `jump-to-predefined-output-file-
-after-DOWNLOADER-runs' in some DOWNLOADER definitions would be
nice for stuff like this.  Sorry, I don't know how to do that.
I don't even know C.  Wish I could help you there.

Patrick.
--
aphorism, n.:
        A concise, clever statement.