lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] a page 90% full of text-entry fields: how to do "go to" <

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] a page 90% full of text-entry fields: how to do "go to" <link-num>?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:53:46 -0500

David Combs wrote:
Say you hit a page that's 90% or 99% or even 100% full of
text-entry places, eg

    [20] __________________ your preference

Whole page full of that stuff.

Problem: any command you type in is taken-in not as
a command to (immediately) execute, but instead as
plain old TEXT to be entered into that field.

How the heck to do one of, eg:

1:  G 60  (ie go to label 60)

2:  backspace  (ie backup to prior page)

3: control-P (etc) gets entered as text?
or so forth.

For exactly this reason, I fly with

TEXTFIELDS_NEED_ACTIVATION:TRUE

in my lynx.cfg file. It can be a pain when filling out long forms of text fields where each needs a value, as you need to activate each field to enter text into it. However, since I also use the Vi key-bindings, without the TFNA option set, I annoyingly would regularly end up with "jjj" in my text fields. This TFNA option saves me a lot of hassle.

I do wish that it was a local ~/.lynxcfg option, particularly one that was available in the Options screen, but from what I can tell, it has to be set in your global /etc/lynxcfg file (or specified as your master cfg file on the command-line). Or at least if you enabled vi keybindings, it would change TFNA to true automatically :)

Most control characters should still work (if they don't, that may be a different problem, or you may be using control chars that have dual meaning based on context).

-tim