lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] maclynx -- utf8-ignore and/or update...

From: Tom Kraft
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] maclynx -- utf8-ignore and/or update...
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:53:11 +0200

Patrick wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:19:33 +0200 (CEST)
> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > I managed to get maclynx 2.7.1 beta 1 working on a powerbook 100. it works
> > quite well given its age and the changes of the internet in the meantime.
> >
> > but one problem severely reduces functionality: every time the browser
> > meets a site encoded in utf-8 it offers "(D)ownload or (C)ancel". Is there
> > a way to make maclynx ignore utf-8 and just render the page in the
> > preselected charset? I would not mind if some accented characters on the
> > page look strange.
> >
> > and second, I have found three references that there was an update to
> > maclynx some time ago (maclynx 2.7.1. beta 1 update 1; the references were
> > from 2004). but the sites were removed. does anybody here know what has
> > become of that? I am intrigued, maybe my problem as above has been fixed
> > already.
>
> I, uh...  WTF dude, that was me.  That was me, very
> enthusiastically messing around in ResEdit.  It was fun, but in
> retrospect not very productive [I thought it was a *great* idea
> at the time].  The site must have lingered a while, because I
> don't remember doing anything with it after 2002.
>
> Just add this to your DOWNLOADER definitions in lynx.cfg ;
>
> DOWNLOADER:Load Internally:OlG1:TRUE
>
> Then, after (D)ownloading a file, the option to `Load Internally'
> will be presented to you.
>
> But if your Powerbook is running MacOS X, you should be able to
> find a much more recent version of Lynx built for OSX, since the
> underlying system is mostly BSD UNIX.  These two look promising;
>
>     http://habilis.net/lynxlet/
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/lynxtextwebbrowser.html
>

> > many thanks, regards
> > tom
>
> Thanks for the memories,
>
> Patrick.
> --
> Be frank and explicit with your lawyer ... it is his business to
> confuse the issue afterwards.

hello patrick,

I have tried your advice and and it works just fine, at least when your
expectations are as modest as mine. as you said in a later post, it adds
another step before you can see what interests you but I don't mind. It
is surprising enough that there is a browser so old that bridges the
http1.0 to http1.1 gap.
Just being curious: what does O1G1 mean?
you are very critical about the update you created then. I am still
curious and I would give it a try if you could spare a copy.
many thanks

tom_k