lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML5 meta charset attribute

From: Keith Bowes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML5 meta charset attribute
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 16:19:42 -0400

Je 2011-Okt-06 je 00:10, David Woolley skribis:
> It might be in common use, but shouldn't be as it creates a totally
> unnecessary backwards compatibility failure.

Agreed.  I don't actually think HTML5 itself is that common anyway.
There are some fanboys, but generally, the HTML5 revolution isn't going
to happen (no, the XHTML revolution didn't happen either, despite being
big in some communities, most notably the code generated by blogs,
forums, and similar tools).  Almost all standards-compliant websites I see are
in XHTML
1.0.  I think the only place that HTML5 is going to make a dent is that
people are going to start using the new functionality in
non-standards-complaint pages (similar to how they did with HTML 4 and
XHTML).  I do mourn the demise of XHTML; it was a great opportunity to
cleanup the mess of HTML, but I suppose most people like the laxness of
HTML parsers.