lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:16:52 -0500

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 07:10:27PM +0100, Krzysztof Żelechowski wrote:
> Użytkownik Thomas Dickey napisał:
> >On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40:12PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> >>File that you are currently viewing
> >>
> >>    Linkname: Entry into main screen
> >>        Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:35:25 GMT
> >>    Last Mod: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:51:10 GMT
> >>    Owner(s): None
> >>        size: 2 lines
> >>        mode: normal
> >>
> >>No Links on the current page
> >>
> >>The document is of type text/xml,
> >>it has an XSLT stylesheet attached using a PI.
> >>It is displayed empty, instead of having the transformation applied.
> >yes - lynx doesn't do stylesheets or javascript...
> >
> This is not a reason to display an empty page to the unsuspecting user.

patches welcome :-)

> I think javascript is a different responsibility from stylesheets, since
> the publisher must cater to browsers that do not play javascript, and
> HTML contains specific provisions for that case.  Or do you consider it
> to be the publisher’s fault to give me text/xml?  But how do you decide
> whether to serve XML or HTML, if the latter possibility exists on
> server?  Whitelisting?  Blacklisting?  Accept header?  But does Lynx
> communicate that it does not accept text/xml?

As I recall it, the choice is made on the server without providing for
clients which do not implement the feature.  Lynx is only displaying
HTML as-is.

(some page authors express similar opinions about clients that don't implement
flash ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net