lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx does not check charset on reload

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx does not check charset on reload
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:21:05 -0500

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 06:14:25PM +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 04:20:26PM +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > > Hallo.
> > >
> > > lynx-2.8.7 (rel. 2) does not check charset header for changes on reload.
> > >
> > > It causes page corruption in following situation:
> > >
> > > 1. Enter URL.
> > > 2. Server has problems and returns an error message with a dumb charset
> > >    (ASCII, ISO-8859-1).
> > > 3. Reload page.
> > > 4. Server returns correct page that has a different charset than the
> > >    previous error message (e. g. UTF-8).
> >
> > I see... Is this something that's easy to reproduce with a particular
> > server?  (If not, I'll have to set something up to be sure I'm fixing
> > the right thing).
>
> No. The server where it occurred presents errors rarely. If you send a
> patch, I guess I will be able to confirm the fix in a week or so.
>
> You can change configuration of your server between reloads, or you can
> use apache MultiView feature and rename file from .iso8859-1 to .utf8.

well, _here_, I can see half of the problem.  If I change the default
charset on the server and restart it between reloads, lynx switches
from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, but doesn't go the other way.  That might
be the same issue as your report.  I can take a closer look once I've
got my current xterm patch complete this week.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net