lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Inconsistency in formatting of headings in div elements and b

From: Chathranga Ranasingha
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Inconsistency in formatting of headings in div elements and body elements
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:10:28 +0500

Hello there!

First off, this isn't really a »problem« with the application.

I've posted this problem on my distro forum and haven't really gotten the answers to my questions. So here I am, mailing you, hoping I can get an answer.

Sometimes it's just my luck that things screw up around me, so I'll just give it here as well. This is the original posting on the forums: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77712

This is the actual problem: putting heading tags directly inside the body element, like so

  <h1>...</h1>
  <h2>...</h2>
  <h6>...</h6>

the rendering in lynx is nice, h1 is centered, and the rest of the headings are in ascending indents; nice to identify the levels. http://chipomaniac-lk.net63.net/temp/Direct.png

The problem crops up is the headings are inside div's, like so

the rendering has completely lost all that nice formatting that made it easy to identify the levels. http://chipomaniac-lk.net63.net/temp/InDirect.png

So, basically I just want to know the reason why this happens (I'm not treating this as a bug) . Div is for presentational, I understand, and lynx doesn't support CSS, but I think this is kind of breaking the semantics, since most of the websites out there use extensive styling.

Nevertheless, you're free to blast me for acting the moron if you see the need to :D

Thank you for your time.
--
කරපු තරමක් කෙරුවෙ උදව... අහපු තරමක් ඇහුවෙ බැනුන්
- If You Expect To Help... Expect EarShot... (Singhalese Proverb)