lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] 403 forbiden errors?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 403 forbiden errors?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:39:06 -0400

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 06:29:21PM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Greetings folks,
> I recently met with one of these at a professional site to which I belong,
> www.transom.org
> I hope I spelled that correctly.
> In any case when I informed support of the error their web person told me
> that there is a hacker? command that uses lynx, and will damage a site.
> aS a result some places will block lynx the command and perhaps
> unintentionally block the browser as well.

well, as information gets passed from one person to another,
there's alway lossage.  Looks like that web person's several
stages away.

An informed response would have been something along the lines
that lynx (and some other programs such as curl) have been noted
for their usefulness in scripting, and less noticed for interactive
use.  Some lists of these have gotten passed around and used to
shun those user agents.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net