lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Cygwin, SSL, and Lynx

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Cygwin, SSL, and Lynx
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:47:55 -0400

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 11:54:43PM -0700, Owen Leibman wrote:
> I have a version of Lynx 2.8.8.14 with SSL enabled which I successfully
> configured and compiled in Cygwin on July 20, 2012.  I have confirmed that
> the compile now fails as reported, both with ssl 1.0.1e-2 and 1.0.1c-2, the
> only previous version which cygwin currently allows me to install.  So,
> perhaps there was an earlier version extant in July which permitted a
> successful compile.  I can send you the exe file (or config log or anything
> else) if you think that might help reveal what release was in use.

...no - the version was good enough for my to-do list.  I'm currently
working on vile, and have backlog for lynx, xterm, diffstat, cdk, mawk (and
of course ncurses).

> Not that all is well with the successfully compiled version.  Whenever I
> access a site with https now, I get a prompt:  "SSL error:  unable to get
> local issuer certificate - Continue?" This definitely did not happen in July
> when I built the image, but I cannot tell you when it did start.  This also
> happens when I use the suggested workaround (define CRYPT etc.) with the
> current release.

It sounds as if lynx is not finding the local configuration for openssl
certificates.  This may help:

        http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx2-8-7/docs/README.sslcerts

> Finally, I noticed during this investigation that, if I try to build on
> Cygwin with ssl and don't have ssl installed on my system, configure and make
> nevertheless complete successfully (without ssl of course).  I don't know if
> this is intended, but it seems wrong.

It's intentional: the configure script does give a warning,
and drops the feature.  There is more than one way of handling
this situation (seriously - I get bug reports from people on
the ncurses list who ignore fatal errors from the configure
script, and only _report_ the compiler errors that stop them
completely).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net