lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Hide lynx_bookmarks.html

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Hide lynx_bookmarks.html
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 04:15:59 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:06:08PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> In Fedora19, the only programs which I see using XDG are parts of the GUI
> (such as GNOME).  Programs run from the command-line, or not part of GNOME or
> KDE
> such as bash, firefox, opera, ncftp are untouched.

KDE, by the way, does not follow XDG either - in Fedora19 it creates these
directories:

        ~/.kde
        ~/.kde/share
        ~/.kde/share/config

...bearing in mind that Fedora19 is inevitably going to have some package tweaks
made to use whatever scheme GNOME happens to use at the moment.

Lynx isn't normally part of a desktop environment (as a rule, support for
desktop
shortcuts is rather poorer than that provided in Windows).  Instead, it's an
application
run from the command-line (like ssh, which also has its ~/.ssh in Fedora19).

So... at most, what I see is that if packagers wanted to massage Lynx's
configuration
into XDG hierarchy and ran into some awkward part where it couldn't be tweaked
(as
I did for the packaging of the documentation), I'd suggest adding a configure
option
to turn on as-needed tweaks.  Most of Lynx's users would not need or want this.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net