lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Need to pass ASCII-GS thru to lynxcgi: QUERY_STRING

From: Mark Dewhirst
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Need to pass ASCII-GS thru to lynxcgi: QUERY_STRING
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:16:53 +1000

Hi All,

Background....

We have found an unusual niche for lynx:-  our warehouse management

system employs  "RF-guns"  (small screen  WiFi units with barcode

scanners, see  Intermec CK70  etc )

There are hundreds of units on the market,  and to be able to use them

all,  we run the RF-gun's  telnet equivalent program and then run  lynx

inside that.

The various screens needed by our application are HTML pages (almost

exclusively "forms") that are generated by a cluster of  cgi-bins usually

accessed via  'lynxcgi:'

These RF-guns cause their laser-scanners to act like key-strokes.

So when the user scans a barcode,  the data is pumped into the current

field on a form, and the  cgi-bin eventually sees this as a classic

"QUERY_STRING="   environment variable.

My problem....

Most barcodes are a single field....   supermarket-product-code etc.

no issue.   one-scan-to-one-form-field... easy!   Even QR scans.

However there is a class of barcodes  that contain  sub-fields,  and

some of those sub-fields are allowed to be of variable length.

The embedded  sub-field-terminator is always rendered by the RF-gun as

ASCII-GS (Group Separator,  0x1d, 035)    (see GS1 specification and

CODE-128 symbology...  nicest web-site is www.adams1.com,  if you have a

spare few days!!)

That  ASCII control character is being silently suppressed from the

input, and I need a way to allow it to come through to the

QUERY_STRING.      Actual display of the code-point is (from my point of

view) optional!

help!

Cheers

Mark ;-)

PS..   our current version is  2-8-7   across many platforms, but 85% are now Linux  (RedHat)...

Happy to update,  especially if the character gymnastics are changed.

tools>

tools>  r

file  *lynx*

isislynx.hp.hpux:       PA-RISC1.1 shared executable dynamically linked - not stripped

isislynx.intel.linux:   ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

isislynx.intel.linux64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, not stripped

isislynx.intel.solaris: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

isislynx.risc.aix:      executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not stripped

isislynx.sparc.solaris: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

tools>

tools>

Mark Dewhirst | Development Manager | Microlistics

Email:  address@hidden

Mobile:  +61 419 306 940

Phone:   +61 3 9326 7422

Website:  www.microlistics.com.au