lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Tor users denied service (bwo captcha) if they use lynx

From: Nomen Nescio
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Tor users denied service (bwo captcha) if they use lynx
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:53:28 +0100 (CET)

There is an ongoing denial of service ("DoS") against lynx users who
use the Tor network to view a website that is hosted in CloudFlare's
corporate walled-garden.  Apart from a small minority of CF sites that
whitelist Tor, a CAPTCHA is presented that seems impossible to solve.

>From a technical standpoint, has anyone worked out how to obtain and
solve a captcha?  Lynx seems incapable of downloading the
iframe-embedded captcha graphic.

>From a political standpoint, is there any effort being made?

We've just lost some ground over the past month, as Richard Stallman
has decided that the GNU Radio Foundation, Inc. is not denying any
freedoms or violating any licenses by walling off their site in
CloudFlare's private ecosystem:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/security-discuss/2017-03/msg00073.html

This is what tor-lynx users experience:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/security-discuss/2017-03/msg00043.html

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so the "From:" address will be unusable.