lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 19:53:17 +0200

Thorsten Glaser wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |address@hidden dixit:
 |>To use Tor I'm using lynx with torsocks. This way connection requests are
 |
 |Shouldn’t the recent thread about SOCKS proxy apply here and
 |make the extra torsocks program redundant?

I have never used torsocks, but the patch will make lynx use
a SOCKS5 proxy via the given -socks5-proxy=HOST:PORT.  The second
and last patch i have sent is in daily use here.  The first
message in the thread also has Gaetan Bisson's usocks program
attached, which can be used to SOCKS5ify any program.

 |(This precisely is why I asked about DNS in the context of
 |SOCKS, as I vaguely recall that Tor has something resolving
 |of its own for those .onion addresses and otherwise hides
 |the DNS requests through the Tor network as well, but for
 |that, the proxy must be used for *both* resolving addresses
 |and retrieving content, not just the latter.)

I have no idea of tor except that i have tor-control-spec.txt and
tor-socks-extensions.txt since 2017 locally.  And yes i have even
read it once by then.  There is a RESOLVE (plus RESOLVE_PTR)
extension (and maybe more) there, but since lynx is a browser not
a DNS resolver i think this is not of interest for it.  The patch
uses the RFC standardized way of passing the hostname we want to
connect to for real to the SOCKS5 proxy, it will perform the DNS
lookup for us, and report it back.  So the only DNS lookup which
lynx performs itself is the resolution of the socks proxy address.

--steffen