lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 14:23:19 -0500 (EST)

> This is not a client issue, as I am going directly to google for my
> gmail reading.

You're still using a client; it just may be a Web client rather than an
POP/IMAP/etc client.

> When I requested answers for accessibility reasons, one staff member
> duplicated the issue using elinks, and told me that it was because
> Google did not consider elinks to use the "right" kind of JavaScript.

The person who told you that either doesn't really understand
JavaScript or hopes you don't (more likely the former, I'd guess).  JS
consists of the Web page requesting that the browser fetch a bunch of
code from somewhere and run it.  (Strictly speaking, JS is the language
the "bunch of code" is written in.)  The only way speaking of the
"right kind" of JS makes any sense at all is for the person to have
been talking about different versions of either the language spec or
the client-side implementation, and that phrasing of it is
misleading-at-best in either case.

My guess is still as I sketched upthread: there's some kind of "which
implementation I am" value that's getting checked.  Most briefly, your
JS implementation is doing what Google asked it (via the Web page and
JS code) to do rather than what _you_ want it to do.

Also, I just (while typing this message) quit the lynx instance that I
was looking at my work email in and restarted it, re-loggin-in and all.
No issues.  So either there's something user-specific going on or
Google is lying.  (Gee, _there's_ a shocker of an idea.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden