lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 20:00:35 -0500 (EST)

May I ask on what you base my *insistence* on ms dos?
Unfortunately, due to an auditory processing disorder tied to a surgical vascular accident, some frequencies, most software generated voices stimulate the dizzy centres of my brain. That means for me the safe ranges come from hardware sources, dectalk specifically. Given the quality of that speech, one would think those creating windows based programs would have kept the patents and code for those voices. Instead, one company bought another wasted resources and created disturbingly poor quality speech instead.
To be sure I prefer a low graphics environment.
Still as the saying goes DOS ain't dead, check out the djdpp project, or even freedos. What is largely dead? the assumption that humans even if they share a label , are still individuals, with unique bodies circumstances and preferences. The assumption, often perpetuated by consumer groups and software makers is that all people sharing a label are Interchangeable. Did Linux write drivers t incorporate dectalk in products like the reading edge? no.
Can dos be a graphical platform, certainly.
Was access to basic html in gmail important to many, not even tied to accessibility? Absolutely, do a search for the phrase how do I access gmail in basic html? and you will find lots and lots of lists where people discuss the benefits for various reasons. before you decide I am insisting on anything perhaps ask why the platform is needful. Perhaps if more developers did not take a one user fits all approach, I would have safer voices to use.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

David Woolley wrote in <b37a4e09-2152-ac08-bbd8-fc5626749d9a@david-wooll\
ey.me.uk>:
|On 05/11/2019 22:14, Karen Lewellen wrote:
|> 1. I do not, cannot physically use the windows operating system.
|
|Even if you are blind, the in industry expectation is that you use a
|program called JAWS, under Windows.  In fact, many companies seem to
|think that all that is necessary for their web site to be accessible is
|that it can be used under JAWS.
|
|If you still want a non-graphical environment, Linux would be the
|operating system of choice.
|
|Whilst there are standards for remoting accessing mail, there are no
|effective ones for remotely accessing address books, etc., so if you use
|a network based service for this you have to accept that they will be
|targeting Windows users only, and any accessibility considerations will
|assume the use of JAWS + Windows.

They plan to overcome that with the JMAP protocol, the mail part
of which became RFC 8621.

|By insisting on MS-DOS, you are putting yourself in a position where it
|is becoming increasingly difficult to support your usage.

--steffen